Next Steps and Tasks
What are Tasks?
Tasks are to-dos and actions that emerged from a Workshop and that are meant to be followed-up and managed in Boards.
Next Steps refer to the last phase of a workshop in the facilitation workflow. This phase opens up the Tasks side-bar for the facilitator.
The Tasks side-bar is a feature available to both the facilitators and the participants to a workshop. Tasks are common to all activities within a workshop and can be also accessed from the home page of the workshop as shown below.
Creating a task
A task can be created by a participant or a facilitator at any point during the workshop.
To create a task,
– open the Tasks side-bar by clicking the Tasks button on the left of the screen
– type the title of the task. It can be a word, or a short description of what needs to be done
– click the Add a task button or press Enter
– the task you just created appears at the top of the Tasks’ list in the side-panel
Adding details to a task
Once a task is created, you can edit it and add details, such as description, owner, due date and even a checklist of what needs to be done.
To add details to a task, click on the task’s name or on the pencil icon that appears when you hover on the task.
A side-panel appears where you can fill out the details of the tasks as needed, as well as delete the task.
Excelway tip: in a public workshop, when assigning an owner to a task, only the users that have an Excelway account will be suggested as assignees to the task.
Turning cards into tasks
The facilitator can choose to turn automatically a number of cards into tasks.
To do so:
– click the Magic Wand button on the left of an activity screen
– select Turn cards into tasks
– Select the parameter you want to apply to select the cards to be turned into tasks
– The cards you selected appear immediately in the task side-panel
Sending Tasks to Boards
Once created, the tasks can be sent to the Project boards.
If you are managing your tasks in a single board:
– select all the tasks in bulk by checking the Select tasks to be sent to project boards option.
– then, select the board ou want to send the Tasks to in the Board dropdown.
– click the Send to board button
– under each task, you will see a confirmation of the sending process in green
If you’re managing your tasks in multiple boards:
– select the tasks you want to send to one board
– select the board
– click Send to board
– repeat the process for each board
Excelway tip: if you haven’t created a relevant project board yet, you can create one directly from the board dropdown in the Tasks panel. Just clickon +Add and give your new board a name.
The tasks you sent to boards will appear in the first list of each board you sent tasks to. This list is named by default New cards.
The owners of a task will be automatically added to the board the task has been sent to as members.